Friday, August 15, 2008

"Buckskin Horse" finds a home

Yeehaw!!

Yarroway Mountain Press has just released a beautiful anthology of horse poetry called Cadence of Hooves. They happen to have included one of my poems: "Buckskin Horse." I wrote the poem at a week-long poetry retreat in Marfa, Texas organized by the poet (and friend) Dawn Trook. I was lucky enough to work with both Scott Cairns and Brigit Pegeen Kelly. This particular poem came from Brigit's workshop, but Scott's workshop produced a poem called "Echo" that would later be reformed into a sonnet that won a Phelan award at San Jose State University.

I'm kinda' liking this poetry stuff!

2 comments:

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

Brigit Pegeen Kelly? OMG! When I was at IU (Indiana University)for their 2004 Summer Writers' Conference, I got to meet and speak a bit with her. I was placed in fabulous Maureen Seaton's workshop(your work is reviewed before you arrive, and you are placed according to where your work "fits"). When I stood alone outside one event, and actually cried over the excitement of accomplishing so much writing, and became embarrasssed by my emotion, she comforted me, saying, "It's because it means so much to you." She asked to read some of my work, which I readily shared. Her words of encouragement after that exceeded all my dreams.
When I told her I was "only" an actor, she exclaimed "An actor? That's so hard." "No," I said, "The writing is more. It's more."
Good on you, working with all these great folks!

Lisa Nanette Allender said...

For clarity:
The "she" I refer to above, is BP-K.