Saturday, October 6, 2007

a small yet significant collection of faces . . .

. . . I shall be creating and attempting to record on this blog. The drawing technique is modified contour. The rules for this type of drawing are: never look at your hand as it draws, but only at the subject. If you get lost or want to check on your progress, stop drawing and look, find your place or move to another place on the paper, but look back at the subject before resuming the drawing. If you need to lift your drawing instrument, replace it on a line you've already drawn so as to keep the appearance of a continual line.

I don't know why these are the rules, they just are and I like them.

After the line drawing is complete, color your picture with color pencil in layers. At this point you should look at your paper when you draw. Berol Prismacolors are creamy and lay down smooth. Try them and your drawings will be molto bene.

Draw anything you like, your face, your friends' faces, even your feet, especially if they are very wrinkly. You might soak your feet first to get an ample supply of wrinkleage . Wrinkles and folds are an artist's friends. They respond well in controlled lighting conditions and provide opportunity to practice shading. As far as models go, the older and fatter the better, I always say. Not always.

I believe these drawings are best done in a sketchbook while sipping cappucinos at Peet's--especially the Peet's on The Alameda. If it's too busy there, Peet's on Lincoln is a good substitute. Take a friend as a model. You should buy them a cappucino too, although it might make them a bit figditty. Perhaps a decaf, but what's the point?
Try putting a bit of honey in your cappucino. It's heavier than sugar and drops below the foam layer into the coffee below; it'll feel better in your mouth.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of intentional misspelling. I also like making up useful words that may not already exist. I like the act of Cappuccini for instance: "Drinking a foamy coffee drink while listening to opera."
Did you know that Leonardo (Last Supper, Mona Lisa) never looked at his hand while he was drawing? It's true! Or while he was painting! Neither did Michelangelo (Sistine chapel). It's not discussed much, but it's true.
Thanks for the tip regarding foot wrinkelage.

Anonymous said...

It's true Annie, I painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel using your Blind Contour Method! I never looked at my hand. Not even once. Well..., maybe once, when I lost my place up near Adam's, well... you know..., but then I looked away before I continued with my painting. By the way, with that painting, they are totally naked underneath their drapes.

Anonymous said...

Annie, you just can't imagine how many times I wanted to look when I was painting the Mona Lisa!
And when I was doing the final sketch for the Last Supper...well, I almost looked. But you are right, it's really better when you don't!
You mentioned giving your friends coffee and then drawing them, but that the caffine can make them twitchy...SO TRUE!!! Initially Jesus and his friends were drinking coffee when I was working on the Last Supper. When I switched them over to wine they really mellowed out (except for when Jesus made that announcement to everyone) and they were really a lot easier to draw!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Almost forgot, but I wanted to thank you too for the tip regarding foot wrinkelage! That would have come in handy when I was working on that ceiling! Might have given it more of an edge.

Kate Evans said...

The rules for blind contours are strikingly similar to the rules for living life.

Collin Kelley said...

I am most impressed by Annie's readers. lol

Anonymous said...

Where's your next entry?????

Anonymous said...

Susanne?!?!?!?! I always thought it was Annabelle. Love your faces!